RAINBOW MOUNTAIN TREK 2 DAYS
DAY 1: CUSCO – QESIUNO – ANATA
We will pick you up at your hotel at 4:30 a.m and drive 3 hours to Quesiuno. While packing up our gear our chef will be preparing a hot breakfast to get you fueled up for the hike ahead of you. Our guide explain about the itinerary for the day and safety tips to ensure you are fully prepared for the next two days. The trek begins in a large green valley. You will see hundreds of alpacas, local farmers, and the beautiful Ausangate mountain looming in the distance this is only a teaser for what is to come on your journey.
As you continue making your way on the trail you will begin to conquer the first pass of the trek Puccacocha pass. At around 16,000 feet, the pass sits just above Puccacocha lake, and the massive Ausangate mountain is directly in front of you, while a beautiful active glacier crashes into the lake below. After a successful climb we will stop around noon for lunch and to recharge your body for the remainder of the hike.
Our destination for the night is Anata, where we will enjoy a beautiful evening surrounded by jaw dropping landscape in the still of the Andes. As the sun sets we set up the dining tent with chairs for your group to relax and enjoy conversation while dinner is being prepared. This night you will see an unforgettable night sky full of constellations, shooting stars, and keep yourself warm with coca tea.
Distance: 14km/ 8.7 miles
Hiking time: 5-6 hours
DAY 2: ANATA – RAINBOW MOUNTAIN – CUSCO.
Today is what you’ve been waiting for. Your chance to see the beautiful Rainbow Mountain; and the best part, you’re almost there. We’ll wake you up bright and early (time dependant on weather usually between 5:00 am and 6:00 am) with coca tea delivered to your tent, and serve you a hearty breakfast to fuel you up for your final climb to Vinicunca (Rainbow Mountain). Upon arrival you can take all the time you want soaking in the amazing 360 degree vistas of the surrounding lands and explore the mountain itself. Take some time to yourself and really enjoy the beauty of nature around you- it truly is a magical place. The hike down will only take about three hours and here we will celebrate a successful journey, and enjoy lunch before departing back to Cusco (3 hours). Arrival time back in Cusco will depend on how long you want to spend on Rainbow Mountain, but we typically get back around 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm and drop you off at your hotel.
Distance: 18km/ 11 miles
Hiking time: 6-7 hours
Note: This itinerary is subject to change without prior notice according to weather conditions, strikes, roadblocks, or other events which are beyond our control. We will always do our best to follow the itinerary as closely as possible.
INCLUDED IN THE RAINBOW MOUNTAIN TREK 2 DAYS
- Trek briefing with your guide.
- Excellent English speaking tour guide
- Private tourist transport (minivan for 5 people, van for 12 people, or bus for 20 people)
- Ticket to the Rainbow Mountain.
- All pick-ups (pick up and drop off at your hotel)
- Horses or mules and indigenous horsemen to carry camping equipment: client tents, dining and cooking utensils, tents, table, stools, cooking gear, stove, gas container, cutlery, plates, food and fresh vegetables.
- Personal items up to 8 kg/16 lb. will be carried for you, so you just need to carry your day backpack with everything you will need during the day in your Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek.
- One cook
- Wake up with a cup of coca tea in your tent
- Meals: 1 Breakfast, 2 Lunches, 1 Dinner + 1 afternoon tea.
- Food includes pancakes, omelets, soups, fresh fruit, avocado, pasta, chicken, fish, and meat, rice, all rich in carbohydrates and suitable for trekking. (Vegetarian, vegan or special diet meals upon request) Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek
- 1 night camping; spacious tents and sleeping mat
- A duffle for personal items
- Buckets of hot water for washing in your tent every day
- Biodegradable soap and hand cleansing gel
- Oxygen tank & First aid kit
- All local taxes
NOT INCLUDED: IN THE RAINBOW MOUNTAIN TREK 2 DAYS
- Sleeping bag, Bring a good one! four season is recommended.
- Trekking poles or the Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek.
- Travel /Health / Emergency insurance
- Horseback for riding + horseman $ 85
- Travel /Health / Emergency insurance
- ** Tips for guide, cook and horse men
WHAT YOU NEED TO TAKE: FOR THE RAINBOW MOUNTAIN TREK 2 DAYS
- A good daypack (to carry your personal belongings).
- Lighter trekking boots (with good ankle support)
- 1 pair of trekking pants (not jeans).
- 1 rain jacket (even if we are in dry season) Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek
- 1 warm/winter jacket / gloves, scarf, cap cold, thermal clothing full bod
- 1 good sleeping bag liner that is super lightweight and easy to pack. Definitely does its job.
- Travel-size tissues and wet wipes–The air is cold and damp so your nose is going to run a lot. Everyone seems to run out of tissues by the end of the trek. In addition, most bathrooms do not have toilet paper (if you even get a bathroom), so wet wipes are key.
- Bring some meds to Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek.
- Iron tablets and pills for altitude sickness. Several people on the hike have varying degrees of altitude sickness and both of these remedies (in addition to the coca tea) are very helpful in alleviating the symptom Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek.
- Sun protection Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek cream (SPF 45 or higher recommended).
- Re-usable plastic or metal water container or a hydration pack such as Camelback Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek
- Toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste/floss, shampoo/conditioner, brush/comb, Vaseline (for feet great for potential blisters), feminine hygiene products, deodorant, nail clippers/file/tweezers, spare glasses and/or prescription, mini-eyeglass repair kit, contact lenses if required and supplies, hand sanitizer etc.–and whatever else you need, but pack light.
- Plastic bags for dirty and wet clothes if it raining Rainbow Mountain
- A headlamp to navigate camp in the evenings and pre-dawn mornings with spare batteries
- Camera and film.
- Bandages or moleskin for the Rainbow Mountain
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks, & tips for your staff