Salkantay is the second best option for those travelers who want to go to Machu Picchu, offering a totally full of natural scenes tour, passing through the foothills of the majestic Salkantay snow mountain, colorful villages where Spanish is the second language, and where the Andean people still maintains traditions that date back to ancient times. Unlike the Classic Inca Trail, Salkantay tour will take less visited places and with very little presence of tourists, allowing truly come into contact with the Andean world and interact with people.
DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – SORAYPAMPA
Depart from Cusco at 04:30am-05:00 am by car to the village of Mollepata, here you will take the first breakfast, doesn’t include in the program, but there are many restaurants that offer it. After the breakfast we continue the tour in a local transport to the place of Cruzpata, where we start our trekking during 7 hours, this dya we will have our lunch on the way, from the lunch spot is plus 3 hours more until the camping place of Soraypampa ( 3900 masl); when you arive there is waiting for you the tents , and in the afternoon you can also explore the glacial lagune of Umantay, after it we will have the dinner.
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA – WAYRA PUNKO – CHAULLAY
Early in the morning, our guide will wake up with a hot coca tea and then invited them to eat a good breakfast. After eating our food, we will begin our trek with a steep climb of 3 hours to take us to the highest point of our whole walk, “Abra”, located at 4650 meters above sea level. During the trip you can observe the majestic snowy Salkantay, which has a height of 6271 meters over sea level. After passing the Open Apacheta begin a decline of 3 hours to reach Wayra Machay, where we stop for our lunch respectively. After lunch, we continue descending for about 3 hours to our camp, located in the Chaullay village, the altitude is 2890 meters. In this sector, and finally camp overnight.
DAY 3: LA PLAYA – AGUAS CALIENTES
After breakfast, we begin this day with an unforgettable walk that we will see how we will completely change the nature of inter-mountain snow to places with a variety of flora and fauna of this area and begin to descend to the place called La Playa, where lunch and rest, then we take the transportation towards Hidroeléctrica. Later we continue our trek and reach the modern town of Aguas Calientes around 16:30 hrs. In Aguas Calientes, our walkers will be staying at a hostel, and then will be able to get out and explore this picturesque town, which offers apart from its hot springs, many bars, cafes, Internet kiosks, etc. Overnight in the hostel in Aguas Calientes.
DAY 4: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHUPICCHU – CUSCO
To go to MachuPicchu we have two options, the first is to walk for it we get up early at 4:00 am, after a half hour reach the citadel of Machu Picchu, or the first bus leaves the bus 5:30 a.m., but has an extra cost of 12 dollars only if you buy up and down to and go up is 24 dollars, and finally arrive at Machu Picchu where the Inca citadel guide for two hours to visit, then you have free to easily reach on their own, and if you have booked a mountain weather is good choice too; around 15:00 hours, we will return to Aguas Calientes. Where surely have lunch and wait for the train at 9:50 p.m., if you want to return as it is earliest but more an extra cost of 25 dollars, the train back is to the point of Ollantaytambo, once the train stops our transfer it will gather to bring to the city of Cusco.
- Pre-departure briefing: You will meet your guide and group in our office, for an orientation trek and provide you the duffle bags which will be carried by our horses. The meeting is at 6:00 PM the evening before the trip begins.
- Transport: Pick up from your hotel in the morning and transfer in private transportation to Challacancha (starting point of the trek).
- Experienced Guide: English speaking professional and official tour guide.
- Personal tents: 2 people in each 4-people-capacity tent, to allow for higher comfort and a safe keeping of backpacks. Our tents are 3-season, highly maintained to ensure an excellent performance in field. Kailas, Salewa, Proteide.
- Camping equipment: Dining and kitchen tents, tables, chairs.
- Entry fee to Machu Picchu.
- Foam mats or sleeping pads: to put under your sleeping bag (carried by horses)
- Accommodation: 2 nights camping and 1 night accommodation in selected hotel in Aguas Calientes with Breakfast.
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes: double or triple rooms, private bathrooms, hot showers, wifi, and storage while you visit Machu Picchu.
- 1 Duffle Bag: Where you can put your personal belongings (5 kilograms = 10 lbs) which includes your sleeping bag.
- Cargo Mules: From day 1 to 2 to carry the all camping equipment and your personal baggage (7 kilos).
- Trekking Cook: In charge to prepared all the meals along the journey, over 6 people cook assistant
- Meals: 3 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 3 dinners and Snacks (Vegetarian, vegan or special menus are available at no extra cost)
- Wake up tea: Every morning at the campsite we will wake you up with a cup of coca tea our support staff will bring the coca tea to your tent in order to wake you up.
- Tea time = Happy Hour: Every afternoon 1 hour before dinner the cooks will let on the dining table pop-corn, biscuits, coffee, chocolate, different type of teas, hot water, etc. this is because after a day of hiking many are hungry and it is a bit annoying to wait till dinner that why we provide tea time.
- Daily snacks – Days 1, 2, and 3: Our Snacks consist of local fruits, biscuits, chocolate, Caramels we will give this snack at the beginning of each day trek in a cloth bag to avoid environmental contamination.
- One textile snack bag per person: to avoid the usage of plastic bags that contaminate our environment
- Water grooming: Each morning warm water with towel
- Medical kit: Our crew bring the First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Train tickets: From Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (expedition service)
- Transport: Transfer from Ollantaytambo Train Station to Cusco
- Sleeping Bags: ($ 15. USD), our sleeping bags are -15ºC-comfort (0ºF), mummy. They are cleaned after every use and have a maximum usage of 30 trips.
- Walking Sticks: ( $ 10. USD )
- First day Breaksfast
- Last Day: Lunch and Dinner in Aguas Calientes
- Huaynapicchu Mountain ( $ 30 usd )
- Other personal expenses
WHAT TO BRING:
- A daypack
- A good sleeping bag
- Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen
- Trekking shoes
- Hiking poles with protective cap
- Sandals and warm socks
- Long and Short Pants
- Warm jacket or sweater, T-Shirts
- Rain jacket
- Flashlight + batteries
- You do not need a camping mat or mattress, unless you can bring for mor confort.
- Personal hygiene items and medicine
- Towel and toilet paper
CONDITIONS OF TRAVEL:
- The warranty amount is not refundable , is used to buy the ticket entrances.
- ECO PATH TREK will not refund if the participant decides to cancel 3 months before the departure day or during the trip.
- Whether ECO PATH TREK does not confirm your booking, your payment will be refunded in full.
- Participants must declare if he / she has disease or medical condition and must bring his / her own medication.
- All participants must bring their original passport and, if applicable, your original ISIC student card , with valid expiration date.
- All clients must have their personal travel insurance his/her insurance must cover, accident, medical expenses, loss of effects and all other costs incurred due to the loss, damage or injury that occurs to the client. the travel agency shall not be liable for causing an accident or loss of personal belongings of the client.
- In the event of force majeure that occurs as the inability of the Program or a hike through exceptional or unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of ECO PATH TREK as Operation: conditions to operate extreme weather conditions, landslides, strikes or place them on risk, the sudden inaccessibility of route, etc. Are not allowed. Eco Path Trek propose practical solutions to want to run that program within the deadlines, or if it is not possible, then to propose an alternative program. If the alternative program chosen by the customer is less than the originally booked the customer is entitled to a refund of the price difference.