SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU 5 DAYS / 4 NIGHT
Salkantay is the second best option for those travelers who want to go to Machu Picchu, offering a totally full of natural scenes tour, passing through the foothills of the majestic Salkantay snow mountain, colorful villages where Spanish is the second language, and where the Andean people still maintains traditions that date back to ancient times. Unlike the Classic Inca Trail, Salkantay tour will take less visited places and with very little presence of tourists, allowing truly come into contact with the Andean world and interact with people.
DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – SORAYPAMPA ( 7 hours)
We will pick up from your hotel in Cusco at 4:30 am, the we go by Bus to Mollepata where your adventure begins. You can admire the view over the beautiful country side of Izcuchaca and Limatambo. You can also enjoy the views of the snow capped peaks of the Vilcabamba while driving. The first day is not too much difficult. The first two hours the trek is done between the paths of high Andean vegetation, with forests of queuñas, Chachacomos, quiswar. Following an ancient Inca canal.
In the afternoon we arrive at camp Soraypampa where we will take the lunch, and spend the first night.
Then we have a short activity, the visist of Umantay lagoon, which is located 45 minutes from base camp. This lake has the peculiarity of having a turquoise color, and snowy with a spectacular sunset.
Night at 5: 00 pm will be our happy hour , and at 6: 00 pm the delicious dinner.
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA – SALKANTAY PASS – CHAULLAY (9 hours)
The second day is the hardest of the tour, as the 4600 meters Apacheta Pass must be crossed. For the troubles spectacular views reward to the snowy peaks of the Salkantay(6,264 m) and the Umantay (5,900 m) and the great panoramic views of the valleys on both sides. If you want, like the ancient Incas deposit a stone from the foot of the rise in Apacheta pass as an offering. It is also possible to take an easy walk (about 40 minutes) to the nearby lake Suyrococha. After the pass, the path leads downhill to Huayracmachay where you will stop for the lunch. Depending on the condition of the group is your guide leads you either another 2-3 hours downhill in the Rayanniyoc Camp (3,100 m) or more for experienced trekkers, 2 km away Chaullay camp. We will arrive at 5.00 pm after to walk more or less 9 hours.
DAY 3: CHAULLAY – LA PLAYA – SANTA TERESA – HOT SPRINGS (5 hours)
Today it’s first downhill through various tropical plantations as Coffee, bananas, yucca, passion fruit, grown in the jungle of Cusco. Small waterfalls and crystal clear streams along the way invite you to a refreshing bath. With a little luck you can watch beside a stunning panorama, various birds, such as the Peruvian National Bird “Gallito de las Rocas”. In Lluscamayo we will have a small break , after it we ahve to walk for another 3 hours to La playa where we have the Lunch. Also we sill say thanks to our amazing horsemens, that had assit us during the 3 dyas. Finally we will take a local transportation to Santa Teresa , here is our third camping place, then all the group may visit the natural hot springs of Cocalmayo, to relax and in the afternoon you will came back to the city, if you like the party is also good , because you can go to the local discotek or bars .
DAY 4: SANTA TERESA – HIDROELÉCTRICA – AGUAS CALIENTES (4 hours)
After the breakfast we have to go to the the village of Aguas Calientes, but there is also another extra activity of Zip Line, if you like to do is not a trouble just le tus to know in cusco at the briefing time to arrange it for you, so any way we have to walk the road towards aguas calientes almost 3 hours , this way is so nice because the beauty of the landescapes of the Machupicchu mountains, and the Vilcanota river, we will arrive at 13.00pm, there is the hostel with a private bathroom and hot wáter, also our dinner at 7:00pm .
DAY 5: MACHU PICCHU – OLLANTAYTAMBO – CUSCO
This day you have a two options to visit machupicchu, first going walking takes like a 1h 30min, or by bus but with a extra cost of 12 USD, one way is like 30 min, anyway we meet again in the control of Machup Picchu at 6.30 am, to beging the 2 hours tour guide into the citadel. After the two-hours guided tour you have a free time if you had book the WaynaPicchu Mountain you can climb, or the Machupicchu mountain. In the afternoon you can going down to the village of Aguas Calientes, to get your lunch, and in the afternoon , you will take the train towards the train station of Ollantaytambo. Once you have get of outside wait for you our transfer that will pick up you , and from there you will came back to Cusco.
- Pre-departure briefing: You will meet your guide and group in our office, for an orientation trek and provide you the duffle bags which will be carried by our horses. The meeting is at 6:00 PM the evening before the trip begins.
- Transport: Pick up from your hotel in the morning and transfer in private transportation to Challacancha (starting point of the trek).
- Experienced Guide: English speaking professional and official tour guide.
- Personal tents: 2 people in each 4-people-capacity tent, to allow for higher comfort and a safe keeping of backpacks. Our tents are 3-season, highly maintained to ensure an excellent performance in field. Kailas, Salewa, Proteide.
- Camping equipment: Dining and kitchen tents, tables, chairs.
- Entry fee to Machu Picchu.
- Foam mats or sleeping pads: to put under your sleeping bag (carried by horses)
- Accommodation: 3 nights camping and 1 night accommodation in selected hotel in Aguas Calientes with Breakfast.
- Hostel in Aguas Calientes: double or triple rooms, private bathrooms, hot showers, wifi, and storage while you visit Machu Picchu.
- 1 Duffle Bag: Where you can put your personal belongings (5 kilograms = 10 lbs) which includes your sleeping bag.
- Cargo Mules: From day 1 to 2 to carry the all camping equipment and your personal baggage (7 kilos).
- Trekking Cook: In charge to prepared all the meals along the journey, over 6 people cook assistant
- Meals: 4 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 4 dinners and Snacks (Vegetarian, vegan or special menus are available at no extra cost)
- Wake up tea: Every morning at the campsite we will wake you up with a cup of coca tea our support staff will bring the coca tea to your tent in order to wake you up.
- Tea time = Happy Hour: Every afternoon 1 hour before dinner the cooks will let on the dining table pop-corn, biscuits, coffee, chocolate, different type of teas, hot water, etc. this is because after a day of hiking many are hungry and it is a bit annoying to wait till dinner that why we provide tea time.
- One textile snack bag per person: to avoid the usage of plastic bags that contaminate our environment
- Water grooming: Each morning warm water with towel
- Medical kit: Our crew bring the First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Train tickets: From Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (expedition service)
- Transport: Transfer from Ollantaytambo Train Station to Cusco
- Sleeping Bags: ($ 15. USD), our sleeping bags are -15ºC-comfort (0ºF), mummy. They are cleaned after every use and have a maximum usage of 30 trips.
- Walking Sticks: ( $ 10:00 USD )
- First day Breaksfast
- Last Day: Lunch and Dinner in Aguas Calientes
- Huaynapicchu Mountain ( $ 30 usd )
- Bus to Machu Picchu from Aguas Calientes ( $ 24.00 usd)
- Other personal expenses